Sunday, March 20, 2011

Hollywood South mailbag: 'Battle: Los Angeles' has motion-sick moviegoer looking for help

By Mike Scott, The Times-Picayune

Hi Mike. Are you aware of any resources that rate a movie based on camera stability -- or in other words, warn viewers of potential motion sickness?

For at least one quesy movie-goer, all the nonstop camerawork intended to give the locally shot 'Battle: Los Angeles' a sense of realism was a bit too real.

This past weekend, my family attended " Battle: Los Angeles ," which from the beginning had jumpy hand-held cameras and rapid panning action. I had to close my eyes to avoid vomiting and finally left the theater and walked the streets while waiting for my family. ... I would save money and a lot of angst by avoiding this style of movie -- if only I could find out before sitting in the theater!

No, D.R., as far as I know there's not an app for that -- at least not yet.

But I feel your pain. Not only do I know folks who suffer from the same tummy issues you do, but I've felt a milder version of this brand of motion sickness from time to time myself. (Most memorably in the locally shot " 12 Rounds ," although the unimaginative plotting might have as much to do with my queasiness as director Renny Harlin's breathless camerawork.)

It's all part of an aesthetic I call Dramamine Theater, a trend that seems to have gained momentum in recent years as more and more filmmakers seem to confuse manic camera movements with realism. Although there are no resources I know of to advise you on your problem, there are three (nonpharmaceutical) things I can think of that you can do to ease the pain:

1) Don't go see "Limitless" this weekend. Director Neil Burger's film is a nicely made thriller, but starting with the opening credits, he repeatedly indulges in extended sequences in which he zooms the camera forward in high-speed for what seems like minutes at a time. Granted, I went into the theater with the beginnings of a behind-the-eyeballs headache, but Burger's camerawork didn't help any. I actually found myself shutting my eyes until those sequences were over.

2) Don't sit too close to the screen. I've found that if I sit in a row a little bit farther back than the middle of the theater, my peripheral vision can take in more real-word surroundings -- the drapes above and below the screen, the exit signs, the side walls, etc. -- and thus not leave my brain as susceptible to being tricked into thinking it's being dragged along with the on-screen action.

3) Most importantly, do watch for certain key words that can serve as red flags when you read reviews of movies. Anytime you see references to "hand-held camerawork" or use of "handicams" or "Steadicams" -- which is often code for whipsaw camerawork -- you should be wary. Also watch out for descriptions of movies that include the words "video-game-like," "documentary-style filmmaking" or "Paul Greengrass."

Failing that, you could simply pop a few ginger pills before heading to the theater, park an empty popcorn bucket on your lap and hope for the best.

Just don't sit next to me when you get there.

Have a question about the local movie scene, or about film in general? E-mail Times-Picayune movie critic Mike Scott at mscott@ timespicayune.com, or Tweet your question to him via his Twitter feed, @MikeScottTP. You can even do it the old-fashioned way: Pick up a phone and call him at 504.826.3444.

Source: http://www.nola.com

No comments:

Post a Comment