Monday, July 11, 2011

Uncharted movie still alive, will probably be awful

It's no secret that I'm an Uncharted fan. Several of my articles have been about the recently released beta, and how the multiplayer is shaping up in the new game. Because of my passion for the series, I naturally began following the status of the so called 'Uncharted Movie'. It's been a little crazy so far, but here is a very brief rundown of what has happened in this movies history.

David O Russell was picked to direct the movie. He directed The Fighter, a movie I didn't think I would like, but ended up loving it. He definitely knows how to craft a brilliant movie.

Mark Wahlberg, producer of Entourage and star of dozens of movies including The Fighter, was cast as Nathan Drake.

Fans everywhere went into a fit of rage at this blasphemy, even though Marky Mark does look pretty similar to our hero. Many people wanted Nathan Fillion to be the star. I'll be honest, I'm not exactly up on my Nathan Fillion facts like I should be, but he was in Firefly and Saving Private Ryan. He alsolooks similar to Drake. After much soul searching, I thought Wahlberg would fit the position better, although I don't think anyone can truly capture his personality, except maybe this guy.

Recently, David O Russell has left the film, leaving us to wonder if Wahlberg's position is still safe. Neil Burger (Limitless) is the new director.

Now that you're all caught up on the highlights of the film's history, here is why I feel the movie will probably (that's the keyword) be awful.

Nothing against Mark Wahlberg, I think he's a great actor, but I don't think he will be able to capture the charm of Drake. He does look the part, and can act confident and crack jokes like Nate, but I feel he just lacks that extra kick. Perhaps I would feel that way about everyone in his position; maybe Drake is best left as a virtual being.

Wahlberg also didn't fair so well in another movie/game adaptation known as Max Payne. It wasn't an awful movie, but it is not up to the standards set by the Uncharted franchise.

Another issue is the storyline, well, the old storyline when O Russell was directing. He wanted to bring in Drake's family to the equation, and have them tag along on his journey. No, bad idea. Drake is great not only because of his personality, but because he has a small group of others he can rely on. Elena, Sully, and maybe even Chloe. Bringing more into the story could make it difficult to develop emotions for all of these characters, let alone find believable people to cast for these positions. Hopefully Burger will make some big changes to the script, otherwise I fear the worst.

My other big reason I fear the movie will be bad, is simply because of the politics involved in getting a movie made. They need to create a movie that will make money, and the aspects involved in that could overwhelm the source material. The Uncharted label may get put in the back seat to other elements that will draw bigger crowds. I hope that's not the case, but it's impossible to tell.

All indications point towards this movie being awful. An odd storyline, strange new characters, and the politics of Hollywood. However, we do have a good director and (for the time being) a great actor. Let's hope they love Uncharted as much as do, so they will pressure themselves to make a great product.

Related News:

Uncharted 3 Open Beta Impressions What needs to change in Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Looking for keep alive bot or program Uncharted 3 Im still alive

Source: http://buypoe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment