Thursday, June 30, 2011

Beyond the Sidelines - In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night...

I was treated on Father's Day weekend to a first day viewing of the Green Lantern movie starring Ryan Reynolds.  Despite some bad reviews from some media outlets, and the musings that the studio considers the $50 million-plus opening weekend to be a failure, I rather enjoyed the film.

Firstly, this was my first time at the Reel Time Cinema, and would recommend the experience to any movie buffs reading this column.  I consider myself to be a huge GL fan, and thought that the few cannon changes were well within creative license for the filmmakers.

I re-purchsed a Green Lantern ring, and have been adjusting to its presence on my right hand through this past week.  I grabbed the GL video game a couple of weeks ago, and have enjoyed the God of War-esque experience.

I have been a fan of this comic since the first issue I purchased back in high school.  I have been asked how I can be a fan of, what was at the time, an obscure hero.  I guess it is the limitless possibility that the Green Lantern character offers.

There is something infinitely appealing about a common person, with a special quality inside of them, chosen to wield nearly limitless power and protect the Universe.  The first Green Lantern was introduced around World War II, and was named Alan Scott.  The second GL was introduced in the Silver Age of comics, and was test pilot Hal Jordan.  The GL that I followed at first was introduced in 1996 and was named Kyle Rayner.

Copyright 2011 Linn County Leader. Some rights reserved

Source: http://www.linncountyleader.com

No comments:

Post a Comment