Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Amazon Kindle eReader Drives Physical Book Sales

Kindle eReader:  When my brother was quizzing me about my “Kindle status” right before my recent Birthday, I deflected the conversation as I stared longingly and lovingly at my 3 bookcases, filled with some of my best friends. Because that is how I view physical books, as do so many others. What else can you call something that is always there for you, never asks questions, and never expects anything in return? So as I was unwrapping presents on my Birthday, surrounded by friends and family, I was not too excited when I discovered I was staring down at aKindle. I played it off well, but didn’t exactly power it up and start playing with it. After the party, I placed it on one of my bookshelves, off to the side, and forgot about it. 

But after about a dozen, “What do you think of your Kindle?” and “The Kindle is awesome isn’t it?” I couldn’t invent anymore excuses, pulled it off the shelf with a snarl, and powered it up. And surprisingly, without the owner’s manual, easily had theKindle Storeup and was browsing “Free Titles.” I might be forced to use this thing, I thought, but I surely won’t be spending any money on eBooks.

That is the first time I really became impressed with theKindleand Amazon’s Kindle Store. “The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Robert Louis Stevenson’s “Treasure Island” and “The Count of Monte Cristo” by Alexandre Dumas were all free?! That blew me away. I couldn’t download them quickly enough. And on my Wifi Kindle, each book took less than 60 seconds to appear magically in my hands.

No driving to the store, no “out of stock” status for digital products, instant gratification, and I had three Classic Literature Masterpieces in my hands. I whipped out my owner’s manual, and in about 5 minutes, had selected a font and contrast that I wanted, hit the hammock in my back yard, and was enjoying beautiful Florida weather as Edmond Dantes escaped the inhuman confines of Chateau D’If in search of the limitless treasure located on the Isle of Monte Cristo.

I actually felt a sense of betrayal when I thought about my shelves of hardback books, but every time I found another free classic, or inexpensive book I had been looking for, the feelings of betrayal continued to ebb. After a single use, I was a totalKindlebeliever, but what it did was allow me to “check out” eBooks versions of books I had always wanted, before I spent $20 or $30 on a hardback to add to my collection. The Kindle actually made my library go, and I found myself using it increasingly as a test driver for possible purchases.

So if you’re a Book lover, the Kindle can actually increase your love of the physical Book and still give you the amazing portability and 3,500 eBook storage that no bookbag can offer.

Source: http://www.videogamingpros.com

No comments:

Post a Comment